Sunday, August 1, 2010

For the traveller in you...

Duma & I came across the COUCH SURFING concept when we were preparing to backpack around Europe. Now, it sounds good in theory(especially if you are young & broke) and thank God there are A LOT of helpful, friendly & hospitable people out there. There are also a lot of crazies, but we won't talk about them right now!

If you have ever stayed in a hostel you will know that sometimes you just want to rest your weary head somewhere other than a bunkbed that is the size of a baby's cot...or shower in a space where you can raise your arms and do the chicken wing dance (you are doing it right now, aren't you?) as you clean those much needed areas ...OR do a #1 or #2's where your knees aren't hitting the wall in front of you and the walls aren't so thin....y'all know what I'm talking about!!!

SO - over the weekend and in my delirium I came across the couch surfing community in Oman. I still don't know how I got there, but I remember thinking "No way - I didn't realise there were so many travellers who spin the globe and randomly select Oman as a destination for backpacking". But I guess with the UAE, India and Sri Lanka, Africa and Egypt so close...why wouldn't you?

I was also spun out by how many people here welcome strangers into their home and show them around. Kudos to you!


Here are some stats if you are interested.

So the question(s) remain:
* Have you / would you couch surf?
* Would you let a surfer crash on your couch?
* Would you be interested in playing a local guide?

1 comment:

  1. You beat me to it! I was going to blog about this today.... I hope you don't mind me re-blogging your article!

    ReplyDelete