Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's the Little Things in Life

They say that things happen in 3's and I guess that over the past 2 days I can attest to that. Well actually that doesn't really make sense does it, because things just happen and we make the saying fit when we feel like it? (Cue 'incessant ramblings' description from our blog profile!) Oh well, anyway the concept applies given three small but profound things happened to me and I'm very thankful they did :)

Yesterday was frustrating as I was following up on an outstanding job offer that has been literally doing my head in for the past 4 weeks - I just don't understand why people say they will do something and they don't come through, it is one of my pet peeves! To me, its better to under-promise and over-deliver therefore exceeding expectations, but maybe thats just me.

Long story short, I have 2 other offers but this 1 pays considerably more and is an internal HR role as opposed to being a Consultant and having to 'sell' my services. And hey - I'm fully aware that my sense of urgency is totally different to theirs, I'm not here to flatter myself. But yesterday I felt like a stalker in order to just get a straight answer (I got something of the sorts, hopefully the contract will appear today), because I have to let the other 2 businesses know where I'm at (by COB today) before jumping on board with them or burning a bridge.

Anyway, I was in a 'mood' of sorts and Duma's advice came right on time, it totally changed my perspective. It's pretty matter-of-fact but then again, thats just how he is and I love him for that...no mucking around, just a kick in the pants and get on with it (which is what I needed and he knew it).

"No point wasting energy worrying about the things that you can’t change. If you can’t change them, you must accept the way things are & use your energy concentrating on the things you can change".


2nd to that, my Mum called me this morning and it was such a nice surprise! There is nothing like a call from your Mum when you live in another country...a familiar voice, chatting about nothing, just catching up and smiling through the phone. And she is sending me a care package next week with recent pictures of my beloved niece & nephew who I'm missing so much = happy days!

After that, I was trawling through the internet and came across a cool note that reminded of how good life is...when you stop focusing on the things that just don't matter in the big scheme of things.


I hope this post comes right on time for you too, just like these words did for me xo

No comments:

Post a Comment